Monday, August 21, 2006

Cat's Cradle and other games

My daughter is intriqued by learning to play cat's cradle. So much so, that we've been searching for string/yarn all over the place. My guess is that other girls at her summer school program are playing it, and haven't taught her to play yet. Such a strange and sweet time for her to be totally interested in Barbies, riding her bike, riding her scooter, swimming, singing Disney song lyrics, and learning finger string figures. I don't remember the circumstances, but somehow I remember playing this game with my sister.

Since my daughter doesn't have a sister, her 'best friend' (for now) came to our apartment for their first sleep-over a couple of weeks ago. They both behaved very well, and aside from this friend leaving her swimsuit, a pair of shoes, a pair of shorts, and some hair ties...they played Barbies and watched a mermaid movie. It was some days after this sleep-over that she became interested in the string thing.

So, since I, too, struggled to remember how to play...we kept going around to the same loops again and again...I decided "Let's check the internet."
Here's what I found. So much fun...we may have to check out origami, too.

www.momsminivan.com
www.ifyoulovetoread.com
www.whimsical-workshop.mb.ca/index.html
www.darsie.net/string

2 comments:

Jaime G said...

You're great!! I have been wanting to remember how to play cat's cradle for so long!! When I was a little girl living in Tokyo, our maid taught it and played it with me. It was a great time, but I am not sure she was supposed to play with me so much!! Nevertheless, I loved the attention!

Grandma and Grandpa Benson said...

You just made my day . . . of course you know how old I am . . . :)