Thursday, February 14, 2008

What do I really want for my birthday?

Each year I ask my husband what he wants for his birthday, or Christmas, or whatever gift-giving holiday is coming up, and he usually has a long list of specific items. I think his love language is way more "gifts" than he thinks it is.
I often struggle with offering up anything for people to get me, mostly because I'm not one to dwell on the stuff I don't have, but to dwell on the blessings in life. Okay, I'm not bragging, but I see my humility is going to be put to the test here. It's not that I see myself as better than others because I don't wish for personal things, but that I really just don't think about these things very much.

My birthday is coming up here in another week, and I'm getting the same kinds of questions from my mother-in-law, my husband, my mom, etc.
These intangible things seem so difficult to tell them, but this is what I'm thinking.

I want time to write, to take pictures with a better camera, more time to write, time to sing out loud with my friends, to get a new computer for home - maybe a laptop, to walk on the beach with my daughter when it's warm, to build sandcastles with my son near the water, to kiss my husband long and hard without our children interrupting, to walk and hold hands with my husband along a quiet stretch of sandy beach without saying a word. I want to lose some weight and keep it off, and to be able to run again without being totally exhausted after one mile. I wish for deeper relationships with the friends I have, and to be more appreciative of those who want to build a friendship.

Everyone - okay almost everyone - at work is on facebook. I have yet to dive into that world, although I've heard it's much easier to post a daily note versus an entire blog post. Let me know your thoughts. Not many people follow my blog - mostly because I don't post very often. But if you're here - then thank you for reading my blog. I hope you'll comment to tell me you're here. I usually take this space to vow to be better about posting. That's not going to happen - no vows, not necessarily going to post more, either. But, I'll do what I can in this season of life.

2 comments:

Erin Bennett said...

I'm here. :)

Matt & Lisa said...

oooooooh, I loved reading what you want for your bday- especially the ones involving Todd :) so sweet!