Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Am I a foodie?

What's a foodie, you ask? Well, it's a term I heard on TV a few months back. I've never considered it a negative word, but to many it means snobby food critic.

According to Wiki:
Foodie is an informal term for a particular class of aficionado of food and drink. The word was coined in 1984 by Paul Levy, Ann Barr, and Mat Sloan for their book The Official Foodie Handbook.

Check out : What is a foodie, anyway? on Slashfood.com.
She says anyone can be a foodie. But, I'm not sure I'm in the category yet - as mostly I just love to eat food, create food, research recipies, and see what other foodies have cooking. Although Nicole seems to think you just have to want to know things about food, and have a thirst for knowledge about food, then I guess that's what I am. After all, I don't have a friend that doesn't like to eat good food. Well, I have some friends who are picky eaters, but they know what they like.

I'm hoping a better knowledge of food - and nutrition - will help me stay away from nasty tasting dry baked goods that are terribly bad for my body, and will turn me towards healthy things I already love to eat - red peppers, herbed chicken, fresh fruit. Okay, is that convincing enough to my subconscious to stay away from birthday cake?

Hmmm...anyone getting hungry?

1 comment:

Matt & Lisa said...

ooh, I think I'm a foodie!! I love to try new foods- even the seemingly yucky ones like sushi and clams. I think growing up Jewish with all the traditional foods made me more open to trying new things. I mean if I can eat jellied fish out of a jar and think it's good- I'm pretty open to anything! Ha... but give me ice cream, buffalo wings and chips with queso and I'm on cloud nine! :)