Monday, September 12, 2011

Too busy to breathe, but starting new stuff anyhow

My readers know that I usually post after I've had some strange Epiphany, or realization that something in my life is happening. Either it be subtle or dramatic, but I sense things are moving.

I have actually been working so much lately - and having to find time in the minor moments to just settle in, that I haven't had much time to think straight. I have worked long days, and have only had 2 full days off in the past 16. I am certainly looking for some time off soon - later this week. But tonight I find myself sitting at a table in the class, talking about the struggle of being human and what we're expecting from this class with a few folks from church. Tonight we begin a new day, a new chapter in our household...a day where my husband and I get on the same page in regards to our finances.  We decided last spring, that with some financial changes that are happening in our life - less daycare expenses because our son is in school full time, and less basic expenses because we're choosing to live more frugally, but on the verge of a job shift for him, and a change in needs of our children and our family...we are taking a class called Financial Peace University, by Dave Ramsey.

This class isn't because we're so deep in debt and we're looking for a life raft - although we've been there. It's because we have come from the depths of debt and are looking to stay on track with our new situation, and allow for some additional breathing room so that stress won't rear its ugly head when something "unexpected" happens to either of us, or both of us, financially.

I'm sure I'll blog more about the class as we progress through thirteen weeks of budgeting, saving, and wealth-building. In fact, we expect to complete the class just before Christmas. By the way - it was 83 degrees today in sunny Minnesota. I'm sure it won't be that on the last day of the class.

I came home from the class tonight pretty energized about why we (my husband and I) chose to take the class together. We left our children to care for each other, and my children were so very well behaved, theyeven put themselves to bed on time. :) I really felt good about our decision to step out and make this happen. But, in the hurry of the afternoon between work and the class, I had to make dinner for the family. Not a big deal, really, just some grilled ham & cheese sandwiches on sourdough bread - and some raw veggies. And, in the strangeness of the day - although my daughter said she wasn't hungry, she ate my sandwich - and as any loving mother would do - I let her have it, and scrounged for something else. No time - we had to get out the door and over to church for class - so I grabbed a Diet Coke and headed out the door.
Now, it's often in stressful times I realize how I can just get easily sidetracked and forget to take care of myself. I'm rushing around so much lately - that I can barely get from one thing to another without something in-between to distract me.

I am taking some time off this week - comp time - to take back some hours I've poured in. It'll be good to get back to finding some time for me and God. It's starting, I can feel it. See next post to read how I'm noticing God's movement for me tonight.

No comments: