Friday, August 19, 2005

Prayer for light

"My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth."   1 John 3:18
 
Time to look deeper, and shine that light on another spot in my soul.
Love one another...that's what He said. I thought I knew how to do this...but He's calling me to love others in a different way. To see their "stuff" as part of their brokenness, that all of us have and all of us need. To see my "stuff" as part of my own brokenness, that I have and need. That brokenness shows my need for the Father, and brings me less of myself and more of Him.
 
Father God, today I come to you with a heart of repentance. Forgive me for not loving others as You would have me do. Forgive me for looking so much at my own grief and my own needs, that I've hurt those close to me. Forgive me for not bringing my burdens to the cross; for only the Son can carry this bothersome emotional weight that I haul. May Your love for me resonate in and through me to those around me. Please help me to stretch further today the hand that I have timidly kept at my side. Please help me find rest and patience for the grief and loss that I feel, as well as find refreshment in your Holy Spirit. Wash me dear Lord, as I look to You as my source. Help me to focus on what is important, and only be distracted by the glimpses of You and Your vision for my life. Thank you, Father God, for your blessings in my life, and for reminding me of the things that bring Your glory. Help me to show my gratitude to those I love, by being authentically who You have created me to be.  ~ Amen
 
I look to live out my belovedness, by showing the love, not talking the love. It's so easy to talk, talk, talk...but how have I shown my love for my family this week? How do my friends know I care for and appreciate them? How do I simply live out what is implanted within...the reality of my brokenness, and my need for rest and refreshment? Lord, I leave this to you to help reveal to me. Show me the dark places that I'm ignoring, and bring them to light. Humble me, God, and help me see the ways that I can show others real love.
 
 

4 comments:

Grandma and Grandpa Benson said...

Beautiful heart . . .

Anonymous said...

heartfelt prayer Julia. God is true and sure to answer. God be with you in this time.

julie said...

as you're friend, i feel loved.

Tonya said...

Yes. If we (the Body) really understood the love of God how would we respond? How then shall we live?