Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The smell of cake




Baby boy turned one this week...and we scrubbed and tidied up the apartment for the relatives to come over on Sunday. I guess I should find him another nickname for blog posting instead of "baby boy". Maybe little man, or??? suggestions?

He's taking a few steps, but tends to drop to the ground after 2-3 and crawls the rest of the way, but at least he's trying. And my favorite words that come from him are "duckityduke, dahdah, gutigik, and nainainai (no real meanings for any of these that we can decipher...but the last one I'm pretty sure comes from lots of No-no's he hears on a daily basis.) He's been climbing up onto the couch, the coffee table, and even INTO his large toy-box in a corner of the living room. It was quite a reality check for my husband when he saw this little one do it. Then, he sat in the toy box for about 15 minutes and just played with the things around him, so content. (My boy, not my husband.) Amazing!

Grandma B., Grandma C., Papa, aunties, uncles, and cousins alike trotted into our place for a couple of hours just to enjoy the musings of this one-year-old and see what he's doing. We opened a couple of gifts, we ate some treats, and the birthday boy got a face full of chocolate cake for the first time ever. At first, he was much more interested in the yellow flame on the candle atop the cake, but as he reached to grab it, came away with four fingers full of frosting. So interesting...it didn't go right into the mouth...but he looked at it, squished it with both hands, and then finally set it against his lips...only to smile gleefully and look for more.

The progression of the photos is darling, from sweet smile, to "Oh my! You really like that cake, don't you?" It was after I got him all washed up, changed his shirt, and was holding him as we said goodbye to everyone who came, that I kissed his cheek, and YES!!! it was there...the sweet smell of chocolate on his skin. Most likely it got into the hair, and I must have missed a spot...but I'm convinced someone should market a chocolate scented baby lotion...because it was so delicious, I'll remember that one for a while. Makes all the labor and sleepless nights this past year completely worthwhile.

Happy First Birthday, sweet boy. I love you.

1 comment:

julie said...

happy birthday, little boy. how fast the months go by...