Monday, October 03, 2005

Pink lids


For the past couple of years, I've fallen victim to the marketing ploy of Yoplait yogurt, and their Save Lids to Save Lives campaign. Each year they put pink lids on their yogurt cartons, and vow to donate 10cents for each lid to the Susan G. Komen foundation. I not only become a yogurt-a-day kind of person, but I also encourage my friends and co-workers to bring in their pink lids to send in together. Anyhow, after about 200 lids last year, and about 50 or so already this year, I guess I'm still promoting it. I should get a cut...and then donate that to breast cancer research. Any of you who can find my desk...this is your official reminder to save those lids and send them in. My dear friends, who don't work here anymore, still have been dropping off their lids for me, and I think it's kind of neat. It's nice to know they are thinking of me, and remembering to help others by doing such a small thing.

In the past year, I've been made aware of a co-worker who has an advanced stage of breast cancer, and one of my husbands co-workers who, too, has been battling the disease. I most recently weaned my son from breastfeeding, and so, I guess I've been a bit more aware of my own body and imagine how scary and strange this disease can be. Getting cancer changes your entire lifestyle, and I can't imaging what might happen if I ever become one of the millions of women (and men) who are diagnosed with breast cancer each year. So, for the little bit that I can do, I choose to support this organization. Michele & DuAnn, we're praying for you.

Each year in the Twin Cities they hold a Race for the Cure (usually on Mother's Day)...and a close friend likes to run it annually. My sister in Seattle also has chosen to run the race each year, and I'm wondering if I shouldn't give it a shot. I've never been much for running, or any form of exercise, but I feel I need to do something. Winter is quickly approaching, and it's time for me to move the body to a new beat.
The Susan G. Komen site also led me to Lee National Denim Day...which is this Friday, Oct 7th. Great, one more excuse to wear jeans, and donate to the cause...

Okay...now let me know...can you stand to lick the lids off your yogurt, or does that just creep you out? I have friends on both sides of this one. I don't mind licking the lids, and the Yoplait commercials show lots of people (okay, mostly women) doing just the same thing. But, a friend of mine was so grossed out by it last year when we started this, that she insisted on grabbing a napkin to wipe them down instead. I don't care how you do it, just send in your lids. Or go to Susan G. Komen foundation and click on Support the Cause. Friends, send me your lids...I'll be glad to pay the postage on a very large package to Yoplait.

1 comment:

Grandma and Grandpa Benson said...

My maternal grandmother and aunt died of breast cancer . . . I don't eat Yoplait . . . but, I will check it out the next time I am at the grocery to see if my grandkids can.